Monday, February 8, 2010

He has us chasing cars and clothes,

…has you going after a life you think you want. I did that once. I did it searching for a happy ending or a happily ever after…which eventually eroded into a happy day or month or even a moment…and then…later, devolving into moments where I hoped you wouldn’t get mad or angry at everything I did. Moments where I wished you’d still look at me the way you did when we first met. Chasing cars and jobs and clothes and money led you somewhere else, but…truth is…you were always somewhere else and I was always chasing you. Not anymore, though. Now, there isn’t a chase…but a slow and careful movement forward. Thoughtful. Hopeful. Happy. I don’t miss you. I don’t want you. I don’t need you. My happiness is right now. It resides in long talks and soft touches and sweet words that carry a deep truth your shallow soul is incapable of understanding. Thank you for lying and cheating. Thank you for breaking me. I am better broken without you then whole with you. Broken without you is now whole and beautiful. There is beauty in this, too. I see it. You won’t steal it…no matter how hard you try. You can’t break my spirit. It is untouchable. Your dirty hands can’t reach and neither can your darkness. My light is strong. It is powerful. And your shadow is slowly beginning to disappear…

No comments:

Post a Comment